Monday, June 9, 2014

MAC x Lorde = Pure Heroine

Let me start off by saying that I LOVE Lorde. She has so much talent and insight and I just can't get enough! When I heard she was pairing up with MAC for a collection, it was a no-brainer for me. Her mini collection, if there is such a thing, consists of Pure Heroine lipstick and a black liquid eyeliner. Whether you want to join Lorde's "Love Club" or scoff at the idea of calling her Queen Bee, you can't deny that this girl's lipstick game is MEAN! *finger wave* She's been seen in everything from a nude to a rich burgundy, but I perceive her signature lip color as a deep purple, which may have taken some of us by surprise if you grew accustom to her clean (but slightly edgy) makeup in her music video "Royals." Pure Heroine captures Lorde's signature lip perfectly in my opinion, think the lip color she wears at awards shows (a la Billboard Awards and the Grammy Awards). Pure Heroine is the ultimate deep plum lipstick. To me, Pure Heroine looks like the love child of Cyber and Rebel. Lorde's makeup artist mentioned that she mixes Cyber and Rebel to get Lorde's look, which makes sense that this lipstick is reminiscent of the two.  This is an amplified formula, which is very comfortable and creamy on the lips. I applied without a lip balm, and I did not feel any dryness after three hours! Now that I've talked this lipstick to death, let's get to the swatches, shall we?



[I am MAC NC50 for reference]

swatches from left to right: MAC Nightmoth lip pencil, Pure Heroine, NYX Deep Purple lip liner


**note: the next few swatches are without any liner***






I can't help but channel Lorde's music video, "Tennis Court" while wearing this. 


This lipstick doesn't look as dark on the lips as it does in the bullet, but it is still darker than I expected to be with the given swatches I've seen online so far. If you're still craving more darkness, just deepen it up by filling in the lips with Nightmoth lip liner by MAC seen below:

(Nightmoth + Pure Heroine) 

Speaking of online swatches, I CONSIDERED passing on Pure Heroine because I thought it looked like MAC Rebel lipstick online. Boy, was I wrong. 

Left to right: MAC Rebel, MAC Pure Heroine


I LOVE this lipstick, and I can't wait to wear the heck out of it this fall!...or maybe not since it's limited edition. I just wish the collection was a little bigger and included the softer side of Lorde's looks, like a nude or pale pink (a la "Royals" music video). I took care of this myself by purchasing MAC Faux lipstick. If you want more of a sheer pale lip from the video, try a wash of NARS Roman Holiday lipstick.



(Left to right) NARS Roman Holiday, MAC Faux

MAC Faux

(doesn't she look like a love child of Kylie Jenner and Cher Lloyd with natural makeup? I don't know what's up with me and love children today!)



Did you snatch up this beauty or let it pass you by? What MAC collaborations do you want to see in the future? Personally, I'm pulling for a Lana Del Rey collection! I can just see lipsticks named "Ultraviolence" and "Sweet Like Cinnamon," a navy eyeliner named "Blue Jeans" (my FAVORITE song of hers), and a eye shadow quad called "Shades of Cool." *sigh* I should be on someone's creative team. But I digress...More to come, my pretties! 

No comments:

Post a Comment