Wednesday, June 11, 2014

OPI Coca-Cola Collection


Hi Everyone! 

Nothing screams summer more than an ice cold coke on a hot, sunny day. Last week, OPI released their summer collaboration with Coca-Cola in stores. I hopped on ebay right away to order these gorgeous nail polishes. This fun collection is inspired by Coca-Cola products including Fanta and Sprite. I only bought four of the nine piece collection, all of which are cream formulas. Here are some the polishes I picked up along with some dupes/comparisons. Enjoy!


First up is You're So Vain-illa, inspired by Vanilla Coke. This color is a warm beige with yellow undertones. The formula was a little streaky on me, so I used three coats for an opaque finish. You can never have too many neutrals, and I don't have a neutral like this with such a strong yellow undertone. Comparisons are shown below:

Thumb to pinky: Essie Topless and Barefoot (thumb), Essie Sand Tropez (pointer), OPI You're So Vain-illa (middle), OPI Don't Bossa Nova Me Around (ring), Essie Spin the Bottle (pinky)

You can definitely see the yellow undertone in this picture. I instantly thought of Don't Bossa Nova Me Around and Essie Sand Tropez when I saw this color. However, as you can see in the comparison pictures, Bossa Nova has a rosy undertone, and Essie is more tan with soft yellow undertones. You can definitely justify owning this if you have any of these colors because there are no dupes here!




Next up is Sorry, I'm Fizzy Today, also inspired by Vanilla Coke. I'm not sure how this color is related to Vanilla Coke at all, but the color is so beautiful I'll go with it. Sorry I'm Fizzy Today is a a light coral-pink color with a slight touch of peach that is absolutely gorgeous! Pink is always perfect for summer, and this one is no exception. Although this polish is not necessarily unique, it is still beautiful none-the-less. Below are two polishes comparisons and a dupe:

OPI Sorry I'm Fizzy Today (on thumb, middle finger, and pinky), Butter London Trout Pout (pointer finger), OPI Kiss Me I'm Brazilian (ring finger)

As you can see, OPI Sorry I'm Fizzy Today and Butter London Trout are exact dupes for each other. And I mean, EXACT. If you have to justify having both (me!), one could argue that Trout Pout is slightly slightly lighter than Fizzy. Honestly, the main difference between the two is the formula. Trout Pout's formula is so much better than Fizzy's formula. I had to use 3 coats of OPI to achieve the pictured opacity, and I only used two coats of Butter London for the polish to be perfectly opaque. If you don't have either of the two and you can spare $15, I would go for Butter London Trout Pout because the formula is absolutely stunning and a dream to apply. If you've had your eye on the Butter London color, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money on nail polish, go for the OPI color. All that being said, if you have one, you don't need the other. 

Compared to Sorry I'm Fizzy Today, Kiss Me I'm Brazilian is a medium-toned, true pink. No dupe here! 


You can't have a Coca-Cola nail polish collection without the signature red! Coca-Cola Red is the one I was most excited about. Coca-Cola Red is exactly as described. OPI did a great job recreating this color because it is the shade of red you think of when you think Coca-Cola! Call me crazy, but I think this polish is kind of  a bright tomato-ish, which is still beautiful. The formula is amazing, and a one-coater for me. For the sake of swatching, I did two to get the true color payoff. This color is absolutely gorgeous and I can see this being my go-to red!


Thumb to pinky: OPI Cajun Shrimp (thumb), OPI Big Apple Red (pointer), OPI Coca-Cola Red (middle), Essie Russian Roulette (ring), Essie Twin Sweater Set (pinky)

This is the color that I expected to be easily duped, but I don't have any in my collection that even come close. I am not a huge red polish wearer, and I almost skipped out on Coca-Cola Red because I thought that Big Apple Red or Russian Roulette would be similar, but to my surprise, they aren't at all. What sets Coca-Cola Red apart from the two is that Coca-Cola Red is so bright, which makes it perfect for summer time. Big Apple Red and Russian Roulette look more like similar dupes for each other than for Coca-Cola Red. Cajun Shrimp is a coral-toned red, which does not make it a dupe for Coca-Cola Red. In fact, Cajun Shrimp looks straight up coral compared to Coca-Cola Red. I initially thought that Essie Twin Sweater Set would be comparable, but it looks like a bordeaux color compared to these bright, true reds. If you love your reds, Coca-Cola Red is a must have!


Last, but certainly not least, is Get Cherried Away inspired by Cherry Coke. This polish is a deep, plummy purple which is absolutely stunning. To my surprise, this one ended up being my favorite! I normally don't go for dark purples, but this polish definitely turned me on to this rich tone. Cherried Away is easily a one-coat wonder, but I used two to swatch. This one will be gorgeous for fall and I can't wait to wear this. It looks like MAC Pure Heroine lipstick in nail polish form, so naturally I'm crazy about it! If I ever wake up one day and want my nail polish and lipstick to match, I know exactly what pair to reach for! I don't have any dupes for this polish because I don't have any thing like this in my collection. Get Cherried Away makes me want to buy more deep purple polishes for fall.



Those are the colors I have so far! Which colors from this collection do you have your eye on? I think I may get Today I Accomplished Zero next, which is a black jelly formula with red glitter. Until later my loves!


2 comments:

  1. A very helpful post! Love the colour of "Sorry I'm Fizzy Today" :)

    ReplyDelete